Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I'm bringing back Doc Martens...



I'm bringing back Doc Martens folks. That's right, along with ska music and pogs, Doc Martens are the latest trend that I am singlehandedly resurrecting. Docs were big in the 90s from what I remember with the whole Seattle grunge/flannel phase that most of America was going through. However, Docs were first became popular in the 60s with people like the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, and skinheads.

I heart the 90s!

My older sister and her friends all wore Docs, and even my dad had a pair (how hip). I got my first job at 15 working at Dairy Queen after school for $4.25 an hour (brutal right?). Using my first paycheck, I bought my first pair of Doc Martens. They were sandals, and I got them on clearance at Dillards for about 60 bucks. I thought they were the coolest shoes of all time. However, they were super impractical. First, if you have ever worn Docs, they are super heavy! Mainly because they are indestructible and last for a million years. The first couple of times I wore them resulted in painful red marks from the straps irritating my feet and leaving blisters. Of course I found a creative solution to this problem by wearing them with socks (GASP!). I know what you're thinking, not dorky white socks with sandals, but cool pre-hipster argyle socks with long pants. Hey, I wasn't the only one doing it. That way you could wear the sandals you shelled out close to a hundred bucks for year round!
Made for each other, right?

I recently rediscovered my Doc collection in a box at my parents house and had to rescue them from the Goodwill pile. Also in the collection are a pair of brown oxfords, and the classic black combat boot. I will need to figure out what outfits I can pull off with these various shoes, since I'm not sure the sock and sandal combo is socially acceptable anymore. Bummer.
 These are the combat boots that I need to work back into my wardrobe. Stay tuned for the results...
 I've always wanted red Docs. Maybe they are in my future? For more styles, check out their website (http://www.drmartens.com/). They also have a place where you can tell the story of your first pair of Docs. Scooped again.

This fashion comeback is brought to you by leather lube! Definitely made my shoes look good as new and shiny. Sure to last for another 10 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment